How to Get Radio Royalties in USA and Canada?

Updated: Apr 5

How to Get Radio Royalties in USA and Canada?

The answer to this question is quite simple... You must join a Performing Right Organization (a.k.a. PRO)!

In order to play whatever music they want, the radio stations must obtain something called a “Blanket License” from their local PROs.

Basically, the radio stations pay the PROs a certain fee, according to the license’s terms and conditions. Once the PRO is being paid, they will send the royalty payment to the music publishers and/or the authors/composers.

In clear, if you wrote some music or lyrics to a song and it is being used, you might be entitled to receive some radio royalties. But, you (or your music publisher) MUST be member of a PRO and declare your musical works properly prior to receive any money. This means, that you will have to fill out an online form (or perhaps a hard copy in some cases) and tell the PRO what your shares are as well as the overall royalty split, including all participants.

Regarding the shares and other important stuff… You can watch Dominique Blais’ 100% FREE lesson directly from our YouTube Channel or simply register to our online class at The Music Business School’ and access some documents and even try a little fun quiz by clicking: HERE.

Let us show you how the money flows

from the radio stations directly to you bank account!


Follow us

  • Blanc Twitter Icon
  • White Facebook Icon
  • White Instagram Icon
  • White YouTube Icon

© 2020 by The Music Business School